For this blog, I have invited HealthFirst’s Midwife and mother of four, Polly Pupulin, to give us her 5 top tips for expectant mothers....
By Polly Pupulin, Midwife, www.healthfirst.ch
I love midwifery and have done since I first started in 2001. Part of my work is the privilege to introduce parents to the amazing ‘dance’ that happens between the baby and mother during pregnancy and labour during a Birth Preparation Course.
If I could personally give five tips to every expectant parent here in Switzerland, this is what I would say:
1. You have a choice where and how you birth your baby. The birth is not just a medical procedure but involves many other factors such as your personal preferences, your cultural expectations, your previous experiences of childbirth and what both you and your partner believe birth is all about.
2. The best form of ‘natural’ pain relief is a supportive birth partner and a compassionate midwife in whom you have confidence. You may have heard of epidurals – and they definitely have their place – but there are many compatible and harmonising pain relief options to learn about.
3. The labour process is a blend of you and your baby working together. Both of you have a role and will be communicating together. Knowing this may calm you and help you feel part of a loving team.
4. Yes, your life will change when your baby is born. However everyone reacts and adjusts differently and you won’t know until the challenge is there. So welcome to the journey – and enjoy it!
5. You may be away from your normal family support network in your home country but you are not alone. Create or join a new group of like-minded parents and parents-to-be here in your country of residence – in person and online. Having this support within your own community is proven to reduce your risk of post-natal depression.
If you are pregnant and would like to find out more about what to expect, you are welcome to join Healthfirst's new series of Birth Preparation classes taking place in April, May and June in Geneva. Details below:
Birth Preparation Courses, Geneva
A relaxed, friendly 10 hour group course that helps expectant parents learn about healthy living in pregnancy; understand about the healthcare system in Switzerland for pregnant women; have their questions about labour and birth answered; prepare for the first days with their new baby; get advice and tips for breast feeding; meet other expectant couples; and much more.
Next 2017 course dates:
Tuesdays: 4th, 11th, 25th April & 2nd May 18:30-21:00
Saturdays: 20th May 13:00-18:00 & 3rd June 13:30-18:30
More information and to book: https://www.healthfirst.ch/public-courses/birth-preparation-courses/
Polly Pupulin, RN BSc Midwifery (Hons)
Polly is a highly experienced British-trained midwife Polly Pupulin. She leads Birth Preparation Courses through HealthFirst in Geneva where you can meet other expectant parents and have the opportunity to get your questions answered in a relaxed and friendly setting. Click here for more details.